The Old Schoolhouse

Cally School

In 1816 Lady Anne Bingham, daughter of the Second Earl Lucan married Alexander Murray of Broughton and the couple set up home at Cally. A few years later Lady Anne established a school for girls beside the Cally Lake, which became known as Lady Anne Murray’s Charity School. Girls aged between three and fourteen from Gatehouse and the surrounding neighbourhood attended the school.