The Rutherford Monument

Fundraising began in 1838 to build a monument at Gatehouse of Fleet in memory of the Rev Samuel Rutherford, Minister in the parish of Anwoth from 1627-1639 and later Professor of Divinity at the University of St Andrew and Principal of St Mary’s College.  Samuel Rutherford was a major figure of 17th century Scotland, who is still relevant to us today.  By 1842 sufficient funds had been raised by public subscription to erect a monument overlooking the town of Gatehouse of Fleet. The contractors were J and J Stewart of Gatehouse.  As well as a memorial, the monument soon became an important beacon for shipping in the Solway.  In 1847 the Rutherford monument was destroyed by lightning.  A local press report stated that it 'lay shattered into fragments'.  By 1851 funds were again in place to rebuild the monument and the work was carried out by Robert Hume, the Gatehouse builder responsible for the Ross and Ardnamurchan lighthouses.

The Rutherford Monument Project

Find us on Facebook